Month: October 2016

What are “motions” and how can I help a woman bring one?

mom consoling toddler girl

Women who have experienced abuse often need orders more quickly than the regular family court process provides them. Motions are a way for people to ask the court for short-term orders on any of the issues that have been raised

Tagged with: , , ,

Recent case: The function of appeals and determining judge bias

hands on a book

Van Wieren v Bush, 2015 ONSC 4104 The father appealed to the Superior Court of Justice against an Ontario Court of Justice trial decision about custody and access, claiming that the trial judge, Justice Hardman, was biased against him, failed

Tagged with: , ,

From Ghomeshi to Ururyar: Sexual assault as seen through two criminal cases

many hands reaching in

Legal Director, Pamela Cross, delivered this speech at the Sexual Assault Awareness Training, “Be Part of the Solution”, in Fort Frances, Ontario, on October 7, 2016. The past year has allowed those of us who pay attention to sexual assault

Tagged with: , , ,

Part 2: How can I help a woman disclose abuse?

flower handed by a child to a woman

In Part 1 of this FAQ, I explored some of the reasons why many women find it hard to talk about their experiences of abuse as well as why they need to share this information. This week, I’ll provide tips

Tagged with: , ,