Case law: Equalization, spousal support and costs

woman's hands holding cellphone and on laptop keyboard

Berta v. Berta 2017 ONCA 874:  The parties were married for 27 years, from 1982 to 2010. They had no children. They owned equal shares of a business created by the husband during the marriage. When they separated in March 2010, there were two principal assets: the matrimonial home and the shares in the business. The…

Read more

What is independent legal advice and when does a woman need it?

thoughtful young woman

Before a woman signs any kind of agreement related to her family law issues, she should obtain independent legal advice (ILA). This means she needs to meet with her own lawyer to review whatever the agreement may be. Common agreements where ILA is needed include: Cohabitation agreements Marriage contracts Separation agreements Minutes of settlements Mediation…

Read more