After She Leaves: Family law online training
“It is an extremely relevant course for the work I do. Any women's advocate could benefit from it.” - participant
Our After She Leaves self-directed online course looks at the legal issues and challenges a woman may encounter after she leaves an abusive relationship and becomes involved in the family court system.
This multi-module course is designed for Ontario service providers who support survivors. It is especially helpful for individuals new to the work. However, because it covers recent changes to the laws for parenting arrangements and strategies for supporting women virtually, it’s also a great refresher for the experienced.
- Violence against women by intimate partners
- Dynamics of abuse
- Issues for specific communities
- Impact on women and their children
- Post-separation abuse, including legal bullying
Family law issues:
- Parenting arrangements, including legal and illegal relocation of children
- Financial issues: Child and spousal support, property division
- Other legal issues: Relationships, child protection, criminal and immigration issues
- Legal options for safety
- Women’s experiences in family court
- Steps in the family law process
- Types of orders
- Remote hearings and at the court house
Getting legal advice:
- Finding, working with and changing lawyers
- Alternative ways to work with lawyers
- Free legal advice: Luke’s Place Virtual Legal Clinic and Legal Aid Ontario
- Alternative dispute resolution (ADR)
- Risk assessment and safety planning for different situations
- Supporting women to collect evidence
- Supporting women before, during and after court/mediation
- Managing the work
Course registrants have 100 days access to this e-learning. It takes 4-5 hours to complete.
The course consists of narrated slide presentations accompanied by downloadable resource lists. Transcripts for narration are provided.
Each module includes a quiz; you must achieve 80% in order to continue in the course. Quizzes may be attempted as often as needed to achieve the appropriate score.
A certificate is provided when the modules are completed and the anonymous evaluation is submitted.
This course builds on the latest edition of our popular Luke's Place After She Leaves Resource Manual, which is included.
The course is not suitable for mobile viewing.
1 individual: $90
Group rates are available. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
For a customized training, combine the online course with a webinar hosted by one of our family law lawyers.
100% of our testers would recommend this course to other advocates.
"EXCELLENT new training tool. I think MANY can benefit from this. Super informative and helpful.”
“It was great with detailed information broken down into manageable sections.”
“I now have a better understanding of what Legal Aid can cover and what it can't. I also better understand division of property.”
“I liked the tips/reminders when women fill out various court forms - that will be helpful for future use.”
“Thought it was very well done and refreshed a lot of my previous learning and updated me on current legal changes.”
“Very thorough and user friendly.”
“Overall a very informative and extremely relevant training.”
This training was developed with support from Justice Canada and The Law Foundation of Ontario. The views expressed in this course are those of Luke’s Place and do not necessarily reflect those of our funders.