If you are a woman living in Durham Region, Luke’s Place can help you get through the family court process.
Family court can be confusing and frightening. There are many rules and requirements. There are forms to complete, evidence to gather and appointments to attend.
For a woman* who has left an abusive relationship, this can be a very hard time. Abuse does not always end at separation. Sometimes the abuser uses the family court process to make a woman’s life more difficult and more dangerous.
All our services for abused women are free.
- Our Legal Support Workers and Family Court Support Workers provide legal information and can go with you to court and lawyer appointments.
- For a woman who cannot afford a lawyer, our Pro Bono Summary Advice Clinic provides summary legal advice and helps prepare your history, evidence and forms.
- We offer various group sessions that provide peer support, legal information and tips on the family law system.
- We offer the Family Law Resource Room, a safe and accessible space to complete family court documents.
For women outside Durham Region
For women in rural and remote regions of Ontario, Luke’s Place offers a Virtual Legal Clinic. Women working with participating organizations can receive free legal advice from a lawyer by video-conferencing or over the phone. Contact your local women’s organization to see if they can connect you to the Virtual Legal Clinic.
* We use the term women to include all self-identified women (including two-spirited, cisgender or transgender women) 16 years of age and older.
These services are available thanks to the support of…