Job posting: Legal support worker with Luke’s Place
Luke’s Place is seeking a full time, experienced (minimum 3 years), Legal Support Worker to provide professional delivery of its innovative programs and services to women who have been subjected to intimate partner abuse.
Luke’s Place is a unique resource centre which provides family law process support and information for women who have been subjected to abuse. A nonprofit, charitable organization, the Centre provides professional and peer support services to women and their children free of charge in a comfortable, accessible and confidential environment.
- Organized and energetic professional with demonstrated experience in providing services to women who have been subjected to abuse;
- Post secondary diploma or degree in social work, social services, human services, women’s studies or related / equivalent education;
- Understanding of and commitment to a feminist, gender based, intersectional analysis of woman abuse is essential;
- Knowledge of family law process and issues faced by woman abuse survivors within the family law system;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, sound judgement, commitment to address questions and concerns in a timely manner;
- Ability to structure time, independently set work priorities, and meet program expectations;
- Experienced in crisis intervention;
- Commitment to growth and self reflection with support from supervisor and team;
- Ability to work independently and in a team.
- Provides service and support to women who have been subjected to abuse and are involved in the family court process in Durham Region using a case management model including; needs assessment, providing information about family court process, assisting women in recording the history of abuse, safety planning, assisting in legal aid process, supporting women to follow through on requests received from lawyers, debrief and discuss court appearance outcomes, lawyer’s appointments, or duty counsel meetings, providing referrals to specialized community services, communication and liaison with criminal court-based services, communication and liaison with family court-based services, court accompaniment.
- Ability to work effectively and professionally at satellite service sites including the Durham family court;
- Maintain client records accurately and within expected time frames;
- Conduct internal and external workshops and facilitation of support group;
- Participate in delivery of education and training to the service community and the public;
- Other duties as required.
Luke’s Place offers:
- A flexible work environment that allows for work/life balance;
- Competitive salary and vacation entitlement;
- The opportunity to become a member of a dedicated and passionate team working innovatively to address critical needs in the community.
Luke’s Place, in accordance with its gender responsive anti-racism and anti-oppression framework, welcomes application from people who reflect the diversity of our community.
Interested candidates are invited to submit a resume in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org to the attention Carol Barkwell, Executive Director by Friday, February 9, 2018.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.