Luke’s Place Support & Resource Centre for Women & Children is the only stand-alone family law support centre in Canada for women who have been subjected to intimate partner violence. We provide direct services to hundreds of women and their children in Durham Region and Ontario every year and share our expertise with thousands of service providers across the province through training programs, resources, tools, research, and mentoring. As we continue to increase our provincial reach in terms of direct services and systemic work, we are looking to expand our legal team.
We are looking for a feminist lawyer with a strong understanding of gender-based violence to join our team in a part-time position that may grow in the future. The successful candidate will:
- Have at least three years of work experience as a family law lawyer, or two years experience as a family law lawyer combined with other relevant experience.
- Be ready to work as part of an integrated team that includes lawyers, legal support workers, and others.
- Be familiar with Ontario family law legislation and case law, including the Divorce Act, the Children’s Law Reform Act, the Family Law Act, the Family Law Rules and evolving Provincial, Regional and local Practice Directions.
- Be a member in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario.
- Be committed to addressing the intersecting issues of gender-based violence and the legal systems women engage with, including family law, child protection, Office of the Children’s Lawyer, criminal, immigration, etc.
- Have strong interpersonal skills.
- Have demonstrated strong research and writing skills.
- Be LAWPRO insured.
This position offers considerable flexibility both in terms of hours and location of work and can accommodate a lawyer who wishes to maintain a part-time private practice.
The Staff Lawyer will work closely and collaboratively with the Legal Director and Legal Services Director in the coordination, operation, and evaluation of the organization’s legal services.
Responsibilities will also include:
- Updating and developing training for legal support workers, service providers, lawyers, and volunteers.
- Providing mentorship and support to staff, volunteers, and students.
- Developing resources for women, workers, and lawyers.
- Completion of legal research.
- Assisting with coordination of legal services volunteers and articling students.
- Delivering limited legal services to women.
- Coordinating legal project work.
Luke’s Place, in accordance with its gender responsive anti-oppressive framework, welcomes and encourages applications from women of all races, ethnic origins, religions and sexual orientations. We use the term women to include all self-identified women (including two-spirited, cisgender or transgender women).
We are committed to developing a team that reflects the diversity of our community. In adherence to the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act 2005, and Luke’s Place equity policy, accommodation will be provided during all parts of the hiring process upon request to applicants with disabilities. Please advise if you require accommodation if contacted.
Interested candidates are invited to submit a letter of interest along with their curriculum vitae in confidence to the attention of Carol Barkwell, Executive Director at email@example.com by Friday May 14, 2021.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.