Luke’s Place, based in Oshawa, Ontario is seeking a full-time Articling Student to join our Legal Services team on a 10-month contract, beginning August 2024.
Who You Are:
We are looking for an articling student with a demonstrated interest in, and understanding of, gender-based violence and family law. The successful candidate would be entering their final year of studies or be a recent graduate of law school. The student will have a strong academic background and excellent legal research and writing skills. We work as part of a collaborative, multi-disciplinary team, so the student must have strong interpersonal and communication skills and be able to navigate working relationships with lawyers, family court support workers and other VAW organizations and stakeholders in the community. The student must have an interest in law reform and systemic advocacy and a general understanding of the impact of intersectionality, power, and privilege on the women our organization supports. Completion of a family law related course at law school is a requirement.
- Assist Staff Lawyers with delivering limited scope family law service
- Draft court documents and attend court with women under supervision of Staff Lawyers.
- Attend Legal Clinic appointments and take notes for women.
- Assist in the facilitation of public legal education seminars.
- Conduct legal and academic research.
- Develop legal resources for women and support workers throughout Ontario.
- Assist with external and internal legal training initiatives.
- Draft position papers and advocacy letters on law reform projects.