Legal Support Worker/Family Court Support Worker
Luke’s Place is seeking a full time, experienced (minimum 3 years), Legal Support Worker/Family Court Support Worker to provide professional delivery of its innovative programs and services to women who have been subjected to intimate partner abuse.
Luke’s Place is the only stand-alone family law support centre in Canada for women who have been subjected to intimate partner abuse. It provides direct services to hundreds of women and their children in Durham Region every year and shares its expertise with thousands of service providers across Ontario through training programs, resources, tools, research and mentoring. Our service delivery model has been leveraged by more than a 100 organizations throughout the province seeking to deliver similar services as well as by the Ministry of the Attorney General in the development of the Family Court Support Worker Program.
- Provides service and support to women who have been subjected to abuse and are involved in the family court process in Durham Region using a case management model including: needs assessment, providing information about the family law process, assisting women in recording the history of abuse, safety planning, assisting in legal aid application process, supporting women to follow through on requests received from lawyers, debrief and discuss court appearance outcomes, lawyer’s appointments, or duty counsel meetings, providing referrals to specialized community services, communication and liaison with criminal court-based services, communication and liaison with family court-based services, court accompaniment.
- Ability to work effectively and professionally at satellite service sites including the Durham family court.
- Maintain client records accurately and within expected time frames.
- Conduct internal and external workshops and facilitation of support group.
- Participate in delivery of education and training to the service community and the public.
- Other duties as required.
- Organized and energetic professional with demonstrated experience in providing services to women who have been subjected to abuse.
- Post secondary diploma or degree in social work, social services, women’s studies or related/equivalent education with professional case management training.
- Understanding of and commitment to a feminist, gender based, intersectional analysis of woman abuse is essential.
- Knowledge of family law process and issues faced by woman abuse survivors within the family law system.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, sound judgement, commitment to address questions and concerns in a timely manner.
- Ability to structure time, independently set work priorities, and meet program expectations.
- Experienced in crisis intervention and empowering clients to achieve goals.
- Commitment to growth and self reflection with support from supervisor and team.
- Ability to work independently and in a team.
Luke’s Place offers:
- A flexible work environment that allows for work/life balance.
- Competitive salary and vacation entitlement.
- The opportunity to become a member of a dedicated and passionate team working innovatively to address critical needs in the community.
- Luke’s Place, in accordance with its gender responsive anti-oppressive framework, welcomes and encourages applications from women of all races, ethnic origins, religions and sexual orientation. We are committed to developing a team that reflects the diversity of our community. In adherence to the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians Act 2005, and Luke’s Place equity policy, accommodation will be provided during all parts of the hiring process upon request to applicants with disabilities. Please advise if you require accommodation if contacted.
- Interested candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and resume in confidence to the attention of Carol Barkwell, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday July 12, 2019.
- Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.