Luke’s Place Job Posting: Legal Services Director
Luke’s Place is seeking an experienced lawyer for the position of Legal Services Director. Working collaboratively with Pamela Cross, our Legal Director, this position supports professional delivery of innovative legal programs and services to women who have been subjected to intimate partner abuse.
Luke’s Place is the only stand-alone family law support centre in Canada for women who have been subjected to intimate partner abuse. It provides direct services to hundreds of women and their children in Durham Region every year and shares its expertise with thousands of service providers across Ontario through training programs, resources, tools, research and mentoring.
The Legal Services Director provides leadership in the coordination, operation and evaluation of all legal services, supervision of articling students and lawyer volunteers, development and delivery of new resources, tools and workshops and provides continuous feedback and advice about the Pro Bono Clinic operations, in particular, ensuring that the Rules of Professional Conduct are adhered to and that the lawyer volunteers are supported.
- Coordinate and manage legal services offered at Luke’s Place
- Supervise legal services volunteers and articling students
- Oversee legal research
- Liaise with local family law bar and court-based services
- Outreach, recruitment and orientation of new Pro Bono Clinic lawyer volunteers
- Development of training and mentoring opportunities for legal support workers, volunteers and Pro Bono Clinic lawyer volunteers
- Chair and coordinate Legal Advisory Group meetings
- Oversee and manage Pro Bono Clinic administrative infrastructure such as policies, procedures, data and statistics collection, etc. (approved as a ProBono Law Ontario project)
- Called to the Bar in Ontario
- Member in good standing of the Law Society of Ontario, with minimum three years’ experience
- LAWPRO insured
- Minimum one year of family law experience
- Experience with violence against women
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- This is an external, paid contract position with the expectation of a minimum commitment of one day per week (9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. on Wednesdays)
- Luke’s Place, in accordance with its gender responsive anti-oppressive framework, welcomes and encourages applications from women of all races, ethnic origins, religions and sexual orientation. We are committed to developing a team that reflects the diversity of our community. In adherence to the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians Act 2005, and Luke’s Place equity policy, accommodation will be provided during all parts of the hiring process upon request to applicants with disabilities. Please advise if you require accommodation if contacted.
- Interested candidates are invited to submit a letter of interest in confidence to the attention of Carol Barkwell, Executive Director at email@example.com by Friday November 8, 2019.
- Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.