The Luke’s Place online course, “Effective Lawyering with Clients Leaving Abusive Relationships”, is CPD accredited for 1 hour 20 minutes Professionalism Hours and up to 1 hour 10 minutes Substantive Hours.
To register and pay online, visit our sign up page on Canada Helps. This e-learning can be done at your own pace and takes approximately 3 hours to complete.
What you will learn
- Identifying signs of abuse in clients
- Assessing risk to the client, yourself and your staff
- Interviewing an abuse survivor
- Managing legal bullying
- Gathering and presenting evidence of abuse
Our newly developed family violence screening tool has recently been integrated into the course.
About Luke’s Place
Since 2015, Luke’s Place has trained over 2,500 Legal Aid Ontario lawyers and staff on working more effectively with clients who have been subjected to intimate partner violence. We also operate a pro bono legal advice clinic in Durham Region and a Virtual Legal Clinic for rural and remote abuse survivors.
“Effective Lawyering with Clients Leaving Abusive Relationships” was developed with financial support from the Ontario Trillium Foundation, The Law Foundation of Ontario and input from the many lawyers involved in our pro bono clinics.
Feedback on the course
Here’s what lawyers who have completed the course have to say:
- “Overall excellent. Concise and provided multiple external resources.”
- “Well structured. You can immediately see that the content will be useful.”
- “It provides information about individuals who have experienced partner violence that may not seem intuitive and provides explanations and methods by which to work with such scenarios.”
- “I think the Best Practice Manual is an amazingly valuable tool.”
- “It is tough work and it is really great that you have included the discussion on vicarious trauma.”
- “Very practical advice.”
Ninety-six percent would recommend this course to other family law lawyers.
Cost: $125. Register online now.