Virtual Legal Clinic
March 23, 2020: We have expanded the Virtual Legal Clinic services during the COVID-19 crisis in order to provide family law services to women anywhere in Ontario who have been subjected to intimate partner violence. Connect with your local women's service for support. To find a service, visit ShelterSafe.ca.
The Luke’s Place Virtual Legal Clinic provides women with free legal advice on family law issues. We use a web-based video conferencing program (like Skype) or the telephone to connect women to lawyers.
You can use the Virtual Legal Clinic if you are a woman who:
- has experienced violence or abuse in your relationship
- has a family law legal issue for which you wish to receive summary legal advice (your support worker can help you identify this)
- does not have a lawyer for the legal issue you wish to discuss
Before you meet with a lawyer, a support worker at the shelter will help you prepare. She may join with you at the meeting to take notes. After the meeting, she will help you follow through on the next steps in your case.
- coordinates lawyers
- trains and support the shelters
- coordinates the video-conference or telephone meetings
The Clinic is financially supported by The Law Foundation of Ontario, the Ontario Trillium Foundation, The McLean Foundation and the George Lunan Foundation. Luke’s Place is solely responsible for all content.