thoughtful young woman

Looking for a basic introduction to alternative dispute resolution?

Also known as ADR, these are ways to solve family law problems other than going to court. Mediation, arbitration and collaborative family law are forms of ADR.

Learn about these alternatives on our Family Court and Beyond website.

Keep in mind that ADR may not be appropriate if your ex-partner was abusive or violent or tries to bully or scare you. If your ex-partner has more power than you do (whether because of abuse, level of education, self-confidence, familiarity with Canadian laws, or comfort with speaking English), ADR may not work for you.